Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Emergency crews are currently on scene and traffic is backed up.
As of 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday, Middletown police and fire were on the scene battling a truck fire on West Main Road near Petco. According to officials, it appears the truck's brakes malfunctioned and locked up, which caused them to heat and smoke. The fire department cooled them with water, said Middletown Fire Chief Ronald Doire. The tanker is holding around 7,000 gallons methanol, which is burnable, said the department. Traffic is backed up, but one lane is open each way. "The police are doing a great job," said Doire. As emergency crews continue to work on scene, Middletown Patch will provide updates as they are made available.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
A fire that broke out Wednesday on West Main Road was likely started by smoldering mulch. The Middletown Fire Department is urging residents to use caution in these dry conditions.
A fire broke out on West Main Road in Middletown Wednesday morning not far from the Portsmouth town border. The Middletown Fire Department believes the fire was started by smoldering mulch located in a flower bed. Now, the department is reminding residents to use caution when it comes to landscaping mulch in these dry conditions. The department responded to 1864 West Main Road around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday when a witness called 911 after driving by the fire. Witnesses used the homeowner's garden hose to contain the fire. Once on scene, the MFD was able to quickly extinguish the remaining fire, which had spread to the porch. Fire Inspector Lt. Robert McCall said damage was estimated at $15,000. Fire Chief Ron Doire said the department has had…
Thursday, March 29, 2012
The accident last Thursday took the life of 42-year-old Middletown resident Michael Strickland.
The Portsmouth driver involved in the fatal accident near Purgatory Chasm last Thursday said the sun’s glare prevented him from seeing 42-year-old Middletown resident Michael Strickland on his bicycle, police said today. The accident occurred at approximately 5:35 p.m. that day. According to the Middletown Police report, the driver, 51-year-old Portsmouth resident Arthur Chapman, was coming up the hill when he saw a truck at the top. “I had slowed to make the turn at Tuckerman. I accelerated to take the turn and was hit by the bike. I never saw him. The sun was directly in my eyes; I was traveling no more than 15 mph," Chapman reportedly told police. A witness walking his dog in the area at the time of the accident told police the cyclist…
Friday, October 28, 2011
Firefighters across the state, including Middletown, Portsmouth and Newport, are wearing pink T-shirts this week to raise awareness about all cancers that affect women.
You might have looked twice when passing by the Portsmouth Fire Department yesterday, but that really was a pink firetruck and two pink police cruisers parked in the driveway. The Rhode Island Chapter of Pink Heals, Guardians of the Ribbon, stopped by fire departments in Portsmouth, Middletown and Newport on Thursday as part of a statewide tour to raise awareness. The Pink Heals organization seeks to "take back the color pink" and raise awareness about all cancers, not just breast cancer, which affect women. Fire departments throughout the state, from Portsmouth to Providence and Cranston to Cumberland, are participating this week in the effort. Firefighters purchased custom pink T-shirts for $20 each and wore them while on duty to …
Thursday, July 28, 2011
A well-known Portsmouth restaurant, now closed and slated for demolition, was used for training by several local fire departments this past week.
You may have seen the bright red engines through the overgrown brush surrounding the former Seafare Inn this week, but there was no fire inside this once well-known restaurant. The Seafare Inn building, which is slated to be demolished and the future home for townhouses, is being temporarily used by the Portsmouth, Middletown and Tiverton Fire Departments this week for training purposes. The departments underwent training with thermal-imaging cameras, heat sensors and conducted search and rescue procedures. Capt. Michael Cranson of the Portsmouth Fire Department explains the training in the video featured above. The building's current owners, the Apollo Partner, allowed the fire departments to use the building for free.
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Portsmouth fire crews, with mutual aid from Tiverton, responded to a minor shed fire Tuesday morning on Candy Court.
Portsmouth fire crews, along with mutual aid from Tiverton, responded to a minor shed fire on Candy Court Tuesday morning. The fire, which was reported shortly before 11:30 a.m., heavily damaged a shed at 65 Candy Court, a side street located off President Street and East Main Road. No injuries were reported and the fire did not spread to any nearby residences. The fire was exinguished within 15 minutes. Correction: An earlier version of this story stated an incorrect fire department responded as mutual assistance.