Portsmouth Free Public Library
Built in 1897, the Portsmouth Free Public Library provides information, services and a circulation of 75,000 articles, including books, tapes and videos, to the residents of Portsmouth. The 9,515 sq. ft. structure is owned and operated by the corporation, the Portsmouth Free Public Library Association. The children's room is located downstairs, while the computer area, reference and study area are situated on the main floor.The library provides a variety of services and classes. For further information, please see the library's website at www.portsmouthlibrary.org.
- Fax: (401) 683-5013
- Hours: Regular hours: Mon - Thu, 9am - 8pm; Fri - Sat, 9am - 5pm; Sun, 1pm - 5pm. Summer hours (June 14 to September 6): Mon - Tue, 9am - 8pm; Wed - Fri, 9am - 5pm; Sat, 9am - 1pm; Sun, closed.
- Handicap Accessible: Handicapped parking available; accessible ramp entrance
- What makes this community special?: This library is a great quiet place to go for studying, research or to just unwind. The library has a small computer area for researching online. The library staff is friendly and helpful.
- Parking: Free lot
- Size of collection: 75,000
- Specialties: Reference databases, including AskRI.org, Tutor.com and LegalTrac. This library is part of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL). Patrons may request items from other Rhode Island libraries and have them sent to the Portsmouth Free Public Library.
- Services: Audiobooks, Movies, Music CDs, Research databases, Resources for job seekers
- Internet use policy: Yes. For more information on this policy, visit the library's website.
- Programs/classes: Children's programs, computer classes, library book group, Teen Space
- Book donation information: Please make sure items are in good condition and not musty-smelling or yellowed. No textbooks or magazines please. Your donations help fund library services.
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Private events: Yes
- Features: Computer room, Library