Rhode Island is still celebrating Victory Day? Really?
Rhode Island is still the only state in the country that observes the holiday previously known as Victory Over Japan Day or VJ Day. The holiday is held to observe Japan's surrender on Aug. 14, 1945 (North American time).
Whether you're not familiar with the day or you're celebrating a three-day weekend, here's a look at what's open and closed this holiday.
- All state and other municipal offices
- Banks: , and are all closed today.
- Supermarkets, businesses are open at owner's discretion.
- U.S. mail will be delivered as scheduled. U.S. Post Offices are open today.
- Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) buses will also run on the holiday schedule today.