Traffic flow and parking in Newport will be affected by the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, which kicks off at 11 a.m. on Saturday March 16.
Traffic will be congested in the downtown area from about 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Parking will be limited.
The parade participants will be begin staging on lower Broadway at about 9 a.m. so it is recommended that people coming to Newport to view the parade avoid Broadway. The two best routes into the city with available public parking are:
- Westbound on Memorial Blvd, right onto Bellevue Ave. (northbound), left on Church St. and right into the Waterfront Parking lot (situated between Church and Mary St.)
- Farewell St. south to America’s Cup Ave. and right into the Gateway parking garage.
Parking is prohibited on the following streets from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m.. All vehicles parked in restricted areas will be towed:
- Broadway from Cranston/Equality Park West to Washington Square Equality Park Place and Equality Park West
- Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Blvd. from Equality Park to Oak St. Washington Sq. from Broadway to Thames St.
- Thames St. from America’s Cup Ave. to Morton Ave. Carroll Ave. from Morton Ave. to Harrison Ave.
During this year’s parade the Newport Police Department will be strictly enforcing City Ordinances (open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations and disorderly conduct, underage drinking) along the parade route and the surrounding areas. The Police Department will have a strong presence to make this a fun, safe and family friendly event.
Questions regarding this press release can be directed to Sergeant Christopher Hayes 845-5717 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org