Officials at the Newport Navy base failed to report that alleged Washington Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis had contacted Newport Police last month complaining of hearing voices, a Pentagon official told USA Today.
Alexis, working as a Navy contractor, also told police on Aug. 7 and that he had an argument with three people at the airport and claimed that they were following him, said Lt. William Fitzgerald of the Newport police. Alexis was staying at the Marriott Hotel, located at 25 America's Cup Ave., and complained the people were speaking to him through a wall and keeping him awake by sending vibrations into his body via a "microwave machine," according to the police report, which was faxed to Newport Navy officials at the time.
Read the full story about the interaction with the Newport Police Department here.
"There is no indication that the information went beyond the naval security force (at base)," the official said, adding that more details could emerge as the investigation continues. The official wished to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Newport Navy base security "did not deem Alexis to pose a threat to himself or others based on his alleged conduct at the hotel that night," another Navy source who asked not to be named told USA Today.
Alexis is accused of killing 12 people during a shooting rampage at the Navy Yard in Washington D.C. Monday morning.