Man Allegedly Drives 80 MPH in Snow Before Crash

A truck crashed into two telephone poles Tuesday afternoon on East Main Road. You won't believe what happened after.

Credit: Joseph Farias III
Credit: Joseph Farias III
A man was arrested Tuesday after the pickup truck he was driving allegedly reached estimated speeds of 80 mph and crashed into two utility poles on East Main Road, all during the start of a snowstorm. 

William DeFusco, 31, of no known address, was charged with reckless driving, possession of a stolen motor vehicle, driving with a suspended license, driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test. 

The incident began Tuesday at 1:45 p.m., when two Portsmouth police officers were returning from court.

The officers were on East Main Road in the area of Oliphant Lane, when they saw a red pickup truck traveling north at a high rate of speed on East Main Road.

The officers had recently heard a BOLO alert from Middletown police, asking to be on the lookout for a stolen red pickup truck in the area. 

However, due to the snowy weather conditions and amount of traffic, the officers decided to not pursue the vehicle. They called in the sighting to police headquarters to alert other officers in area. 

They also saw the vehicle begin to swerve into the southbound lane. 

Another police officer, patrolling in a cruiser on East Main Road at Woodland Drive, spotted the truck. He estimated the vehicle to be traveling north on East Main Road at an estimated speed of 80 mph. 

Shortly thereafter, the 1997 GMC truck crashed into two telephone poles near Trinity Cemetery, just north of Aquidneck Island Christian Academy. 

A Portsmouth police officer sprang to action, pulling the driver out of the pickup truck before rescue crews arrived. DeFusco complained of minor pain. He was transported by ambulance to Newport Hospital for treatment of minor injuries. 

According to police, the driver's speech was slurred. He was unsteady on his feet and his eyes barely opened, police said. 

He was arraigned by a justice of the peace and remains at the hospital for further evaluation.

Middletown police were notified of the stolen vehicle. 

As a result of the crash, East Main Road was temporarily closed to traffic Tuesday during the storm. Traffic was also diverted down Sandy Point Avenue for about an hour.

The exact cause of the crash remains under investigation at this time. 

the1 January 22, 2014 at 05:48 PM
I love the fact that "exact cause of crash remains under investigation" hmmm... I think its the fact that the wacked out idiot was driving 80 mph in a 35 zone in snowy conditions.
Mark S. Johnson January 23, 2014 at 08:47 AM
"You won't believe what happened after"? Did I miss something? Was it that "he was transported by ambulance to Newport Hospital for treatment of minor injuries"? Sensationalistic headline much?
amy January 23, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Stupid move at least no one was killed cause this doofus what a poor example of a new generation


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »