Updated at 9:32 p.m.
Portsmouth firefighters responded early Monday morning at a house on Union St., a three-story farm house located next door to the .
[Corrected at 9:32 p.m.] Despite an earlier report of this property being located at a different address, a Vision Appraisal check shows the property to be located at 459 Union St.
A 9-1-1 call came in at 7:29 a.m. reporting smoke coming from the Union Street house.
When firefighters arrived, they discovered heavy smoke and fire coming out of the first floor living room. The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes.
No one was inside the house at the time. The homeowner is reportedly on vacation.
However, a cat was found and removed from the house.
"A Middletown captain rescued a cat," said Portsmouth Fire Capt. Michael O'Brien.
The long-haired gray cat was uninjured.
A blonde woman was also seen running through piles of snow crying out, "This is my house." She hugged another woman, tearfully, before speaking to the Portsmouth fire chief. She is believed to be the homeowner's daughter.
Firefighters know there was fire in the living room, but they don't know the cause or origin at this time. As of 8:30 a.m., they had not gone inside to see the extent of the damage.
Firefighters also pulled out a life-size, charred doll, which served as a decoration inside the house.
Tiverton and Middletown firefighters assisted on the scene. Bristol Fire Department assisted with manning the station.
The Monday morning incident caused a disruption for buses trying to get to . Some vehicles had to turn around.
"We had a huge traffic problem," said O'Brien. "Portsmouth police responded promptly and helped us out with that."