When the board of the Portsmouth Historical started thinking about an entry for the 375th Celebration Parade, the South Portsmouth mail wagon was an obvious choice. The small wagon is the perfect size to roll again on a flat bed trailer. It has been featured in other parades through the years.
This horse drawn mail wagon dates back to 1902 when Abner P. Anthony purchased it when a post office opened at a house on the corner of Clearview Avenue and East Main Road to serve South Portsmouth. Abner worked for 43 years, first delivering mail by bicycle and then by horse and wagon. Similar wagons were used throughout Rhode Island. It was hoped that these new wagons would help improve communication and mail delivery between Rhode Island’s small villages. South County Museum has a similar wagon.
While well preserved, the paint on the mail wagon was a change. The dark green color visible on some interior surfaces reflects the original color.
Mike Paglierani has been leading the effort to get ready for the parade. Mike and other members of the board met to plan decorations for the trailer. A cheer went up as Herb Hall, PHS President, lead the wagon out of the old Town Hall and up into the trailer. Although the wagon is over 100 years old, she rolled out nimbly.
This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.