Residents of Sunny Acres and campers at prepared to evacuate today as Hurricane Irene moved up the East Coast.
“We’ve just about got everything [closed],” said Bill Bryant, manager of Melville Campgrounds, as he and his staff made final preparations for Hurricane Irene.
“We’ll be completely closed by 4,” said Bryant.
Bryant says the evacuation process started Thursday.
“We’re just following orders,” said Bryant, referencing the mandatory evacuation ordered by the town of Portsmouth on Friday.
Bryant said only a few tasks remained in order to finish securing the campgrounds, such as tying things down and closing up awnings.
“Some people have pulled their [RV] units out and put them in the storage area,” said Bryant.
Response to the impending storm was more relaxed at Sunny Acres. Inhabitants of the trailer park could be seen walking their dogs as late as 2 p.m. on Saturday, and resident Bob Souza said that he knew of only seven people who had evacuated “for sure.”
Souza chalked up the nonchalant response to a lack of being notified.
“Nothing’s been notified. Nobody’s been around here,” said Souza.
Portsmouth Fire Chief Jeffrey P. Lynch previously stated he contacted the mobile home park's officials.
Souza and his family still intend to leave Sunday morning after tying everything down.
“I’ve been through a lot of hurricanes. I’ve the seen the worst,” said Souza. “[We’re] just going to be prepared.”