Invite a friend
A Weekend of Coaching
Authentic 19th century coaches drawn by matched and highly-trained teams of horses will return to Newport in the triennial renewal of an historic sporting tradition. The public will enjoy free viewing of the colorful coaches every day August 16-19 as they parade through the streets of Newport and the grounds of the Newport Mansions. On the morning of Saturday, August 18, the public is invited to enjoy a free exhibition of coaching skills on the expansive lawn of The Elms beginning at 10:30 a.m.
More About The Elms
The Elms was the summer home of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Julius Berwind of Philadelphia and New York. Modeled after the mid-18th century French Chateau d'Asnieres, the home was completed in 1901 and reportedly cost $1.4 million to build.
The interior includes collections of Renaissance ceramics, 18th-century French and Venetian paintings and Oriental jades. The garden grounds include marble and bronze sculptures, trees, marble pavilions, fountains, a sunken garden, a carriage house and a garage.
The Preservation Society of Newport County purchased The Elms in 1962 to open the home to the public and it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1996.