Summer time is such a joyous season filled with energy, sun, bbq's, bike rides, etc. When you are out enjoying the long beautiful days of summer, remember to keep your health a priority. Follow these 5 fun tips to look and feel your best this year!
1. Use SPF sunscreen over 15. Sunscreen with less than SPF does not protect your skin against harmful UVA/UVB rays that age your skin and cause cancer. SPF 15-50 will achieve optimal sun protection, depending on your skin type. (remember to re-apply!)
2. Carry a bottle of water with you. Add up the days out in the sun, the beverages at all the holiday bbq's, and the exercise you've been doing! If you're thirsty, you are ALREADY dehydrated! Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, 1 glass extra for each diuretic beverage of 8oz. (coffee, tea, alcohol, soda), and another glass for each 15 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise.
3. Pack a lunch. Many people travel in the summer and it's easy to stop at a drive-through and get McDonald's instead of packing a healthy snack and lunch before your trip. Do yourself a favor and take the 5 minutes! Pack a nice healthy lean turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with a handful of almonds and an apple; a great combination of many of the food groups in one meal!
4. Wear supportive shoes. Although stylish, flip flops offer NO support to your feet. Approximately 80% of the population is flat footed so it's good to wear shoes with proper arch support. This leads to back, foot, and knee pain; all of which could slow down your fun activities! There are many shoe stores and stores online that offer arch support sandals.
5. Get plenty of sleep on a supportive pillow and good mattress. When you go into deep sleep, your body produces growth hormone which repairs and rejuvenates your tissues. Good sleep is essential to your health and if your spine is in good alignment, this takes stress off the nervous system, surrounding muscle tissues, and joints.