Santa Claus will come to Portsmouth neighborhoods starting this Thursday evening, Dec. 1, as part of his annual visit to town.
The jolly elf will make his way through various Portsmouth neighborhoods. The sleigh will pass by houses every evening except on Sundays.
Volunteer "elfs" will help pull Santa's sleigh, weather permitting. His nightly visits will begin around 6 p.m.
Santa will hand out candy canes to residents, both young and old. You might also hear a holiday tune or two.
In the event of rain or severe weather conditions, the sleigh will not travel.
Residents are asked to check OnAquidneck.com for frequent updates. Portsmouth Patch will also update the schedule as it changes.
On Sunday, Dec. 11, Santa Claus will make a special visit to the Glen Manor House at 2:45 p.m. Children are welcome to visit the manor and give Santa their Christmas wish list.
Santa would also like to visit special needs children or children who cannot leave the house. Parents who would like Santa to make a visit are asked to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The event is organized every year by a group of volunteers and is not a town or fire department-sponsored event.
For an updated schedule of the visits, see the schedule below.
Santa Claus' schedule updated as of Wednesday, Dec. 7.
This schedule is subject to change and weather permitting.
- Thursday, Dec. 1 — Common Fence Point, borders from Anthony Road to Mt. View Road, Attleboro Avenue to Narragansett Boulevard; Narragansett Bay to West Main Road; Portsmouth Abbey, Cory's Lane to Debra Drive, Hummocks area. Hummocks' visit was moved up a day due to closing of Cove "Escape" Bridge.
- Friday, Dec. 2 — Island Park; Route 24 to Seaconnet Boulevard, Cliff Avenue to Boyd's Lane; West Main Road to East Main Road; Hedly Street south to Locust Avenue and Thurston Avenue on the east.
- Saturday, Dec. 3 — Pocasset and Botelho Heights; Terminal Road to Anthony Road, Narragansett Bay to Rout 24; Sakonnet River to East Main Road, plus Schoolhouse Lane, Martens Road area; Sherwood Drive to north of Vanderbilt Lane.
- Monday, Dec. 5 — Portsmouth Park area; Sakonnet River west to Route 24 or East Main Road, Boyd's Lane south to Bourbon Street, or Child Street; Sakonnet River to East Main Road, Vanderbilt Lane south to Sandy Point Avenue and Eastover Road.
- Tuesday, Dec. 6 — Cancelled due to rain.
- Wednesday, Dec. 7— Cancelled due to rain.
- Thursday, Dec. 8 — East Main Road to Narragansett Bay; Mare Terrace south to Willow Lane area; Sequoia Lane south to Patriots Drive (including all side streets off Patriots Drive); East Main Road to Union Street beyond the Green Valley Country Club, Madison Way South to Belmont Drive, Oakland Farms.
- Friday, Dec. 9 — Sakonnet River to East Main Road, Child Street, south to Prospect Lane; Middletown town line from Mitchell's Lane north to Sandy Point Avenue; Moitoza Lane east to Sakonnet River.
- Saturday, Dec. 10 — East Main Road to West Main Road, Dexter Street to Hedly Street; Middletown town line to Bramans Lane, Greenvale Road, south to Georgetown Apartments, east to the Sakonnet River.
- Sunday, Dec. 11 — Glen Manor House, 2:45 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 12 — Sakonnet River to East Main Road, Prospect Lane to Fairview Lane; Middletown town line to Raytheon; Narragansett Bay to Union Street west of the Green Valley Country Club.