Occupy Portsmouth To Protest Town Hall, Democrats
The newly-formed Occupy Portsmouth group plan to hold a week-long series of protests, starting Monday, March 26.
The newly-formed group Occupy Portsmouth plans to make quite the appearance in town next week.
Starting Monday, March 26, the group will hold a "Week of Visibility," a series of events and protests leading up to their first General Assembly.
"These protests and events have the purpose of raising the visibility level of Occupy Portsmouth," according to a press release issued by Occupy Portsmouth.
The first of such events will be a protest outside the Portsmouth Town Council meeting Monday night. The group also plans to protest at the School Committee meeting, as well as protest a Democrat forum planned at Food Works later in the week.
The following events and protests are planned this week, as stated in the release:
- Monday, March 26 — Occupy Town Hall. The group will occupy the Town Council meeting on this night. The Occupy meeting is from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. They say they will meet at the cannon outside Town Hall at 6:45 p.m. (This is a protest action)
- Tuesday, March 27 — Occupy the School Committee. The group will occupy the School Committee meeting on Tuesday. The meeting is at 7 p.m. at the Portsmouth High School library. The group will meet outside the front doors at 6:45. (This is a protest action)
- Wednesday, March 28 — Occupy the Night. "We want everyone to post our new flyer around town. Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a copy of the flyer. Do it during the night hours," according to the release.
- Thursday, March 29 — Occupy the Democratic Party. "The Democrats are a part of the problem and as such we will occupy their open forum," according to the release from Occupy Portsmouth. The group will meet outside Food Works on East Main Road at 6:45 p.m. The forum begins at 7 p.m. and runs until 8:30 p.m. (This is a protest action)
- Friday, March 30 — Occupy Patriots Park. "Come down to Patriots Park from 6 to 7:30 p.m. to mingle with others and talk about the issues affecting you, the town, the state, the nation and the globe," the release states.
- Saturday, March 31 — The group will take a field trip to the Occupy Providence General Assembly on Saturday, at 2 p.m. They have yet to announce the location, but the group will spread the word once they find it out.
- Sunday, April 1 — Occupy Common Fence Point. The group will hold another forum like the one on Friday, March 30, but this time at the CFP playground/park from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Monday, April 2 — Occupy the Web. The group will spread the word about the General Assembly and the occupation in general over the Internet. Twitter, Facebook, e-mail, message boards, and more.
- Tuesday, April 3 — General Assembly. The group will hold a Facilitation Working Group Meeting from 4:45 to 5:30 p.m. at Patriots Park. The General Assembly will begin at 5:30 and run until 7 p.m. at Patriots Park.