Those topping the list of this year's most delinquent taxpayers might be well-known to District 72 residents, but for quite a different reason than owing money to the state.
The No. 1 most-delinquent taxpayers in Rhode Island are the parents of state Rep. Daniel P. Reilly, a Republican from Portsmouth. William and Marielle Reilly, who now live in Florida, owe the state $1,372,976.85.
Reilly, a freshman lawmaker who represents Dist. 72, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, tells the Sakonnet Times his parents are no longer Rhode Island residents and have been fighting the tax charges in court.
Two other Portsmouth residents appear on the list of top 100 most-delinquent personal income taxpayers in the state of Rhode Island. The Rhode Island Division of Taxation released the list Tuesday, which it does annually. The list identifies the taxpayers with the highest overdue income tax bills that have been delinquent for 90 days or more.
In a statement on the state’s Web site, Tax Administrator David Sullivan wrote: “Posting the lists is a way to encourage tax delinquents to pay what they owe, come back into compliance with the law, and ease the burden on the overwhelming majority of taxpayers who pay what they owe and pay it on time.”
A separate list identifies the 100 most-delinquent business taxpayers. Three Portsmouth businesses appear on that list.
The delinquent personal income taxpayers from this area are:
- William and Marielle Reilly, Florida, $1,372,976.85
- Joseph J. Vastano, 2368 East Main Road, Apt. G4, $66,653.55
- Joseph M. Furtado, 1290 West Main Road, $67,022.75
- Jefrey A. Accaputo, 15, Barton Lane, $83,654.06
- Paul B. Keating, 313 Berkeley Ave., $75,879.79
- Edwin Livingstone, 28 Aquidneck Ave. #B, $60,931.79
- Robert B. and Deborah Milligan Jr., 31 Elm St., $149,688.57
- Paul J. Sullivan, 162 Rhode Island Ave., $145,951.87
- Russell A. Solomon, 21 Ocean Heights Road, $63,318.47
- John F. and Mary L. Begg, 77 Catherine St., $61,037.27
- Glenn C. and Patricia A. Randall, 626 Bellevue Ave., $54,966.52
The delinquent business taxpayers from this area are:
- Dave's Electric Inc., 894 Wapping Road, $42,416.01
- The Potting Shed Inc., 711 Union St., $250,034.64
- Spa Island Enterprises Inc., 63 Lakeville Ave., $52,352.10