Have about 1,000 people told you today it's "wicked hawt" or "it's sooo you-mid?"
They are right. The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for all of Rhode Island effective today through Thursday.
Forecasters are predicting temperatures in the 90s, and with humidity, a heat index of 100 to 104 degrees. Temperatures in Portsmouth are expected to reach 96 today and 97 on Thursday.
Lucky for you, there are places here in town where you can cool down! Here are five places where you can go to beat the heat:
- The Portsmouth Senior Center — The official town "cooling center."
- Portsmouth Free Public Library — Air-conditioned and where to start your summer reading list
- Sandy Point Beach — Free parking for residents. Don't forget the sunblock!
- Island Park Beach — The unofficial beach located across from Flo's Clam Shack. Free street parking.
- Teddy's Beach — Located just down the road from Island Park Beach. Limited, free parking.
And don't forget! Even if you don't have transportation or your car is in the shop, all Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) bus rides are free today.
For more information on staying safe during extreme heat, visit http://www.riema.ri.gov/preparedness/hazards/extremeheat.php.